Snails & Me - Part One

This is a story in two parts about snails and me.


There was a French restaurant, Catellin, in Old Town, Stockholm, just down the hill from the Royal Castle and Storkyrkan, the Great Church, it opened in 1922 and closed in 2011.

It was a landmark restaurant, according to Wikipedia.

In my later teenage years, my friends and I would eat dinner there, frequently, as I recall. 

We often began our meals with snails, a wonderful first course when combined with a lot of garlic in a delicious sauce.

The restaurant was popular with artists, writers, theater and film people. 

And I was there with my friends, 17, 18 years old and that's  where I learned that snails are a true delicacy. 

I'm sure we were all trying to act very grown up. 

Even though I really enjoyed the snails, I've never eaten one since. 

Now I wonder if anyone eats snails in America. I have a very difficult time making my American friends try Swedish herring. 

Snails are in a different category of difficulty, way more difficult to get used to than a harmless herring in a wonderful mustard or wine sauce. 

Born in France, living in NYC, yes, such a person would probably enjoy a first course of snail.





Comments

  1. I think that people living in small communities are naturally more conservative in their food choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I have never eaten snails , I tend to stick to my favorite foods. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. in 1989 I ate 1 snail, 1 bite of alligator tail. both cooked like you mention here. in a buttery sauce. I did eat it, but did not love or hate it and never ate it again. I would not eat the herring. bob loves sardine, they gag me and herring is about the same as sardine. now if you want me to taste any kind of bread or fruit i am your person. the reason i remember the date is the RE agent that sold us our house took us out to the fancy resturant and wanted us to try the appetizers. he then took us for ice cream that cost 13 dollars for 3 ice cream dishes. scandalous back then

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om
    I'm a natural vegetarian... Mum insisted on me at least taking chicken or fish when I was at school... But easily dropped them once out on my own. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love herring, particularly just in vinegar. But then I grew up on rollmop. My mom, North of England, near the North Sea and herring fleets, used to buy them fresh from the sea and prepare them.
    The snails in restaurants are special large ones, and in France as a student I couldn't afford them -- high end items!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, I battle with snails and slugs eating my garden. I have no interest in eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried snails, and think I might throw up if I did!! Thank you so much for your comments and kind words!! I hope you are doing well. Drop me a line sometimes and let me know how you have been doing. Give Faith a scratch for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very interesting topic today. I've never eaten snails, octopus or squids. I know the gourmet type snails are large and not the garden variety, but they are still snails.I guess, it's no worse than eating bugs and grubs. lol...They don't look appetizing to me but then, I love lobster, shrimps, snow crabs and fish. I had lots of big snails in the gardens and yard last summer. They loved eating my clematis and Hostas.
    I never say never, I may someday have the occasion to try them.

    Hugs, Julia


    ReplyDelete
  9. I love herring and eat it in all its varieties. I've never eaten snails or shrimps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "We often began our meals with snails"

    I am screaming. 😂

    I have had snails, but I have eaten froglegs! I live in the American South.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never eaten snails ... or frogs legs!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I've never eaten a snail and it is not something I would eat. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers