Rust at Elkhorn Slough




Thank you Vince and Jane for this marvelous rusty old building and for mentioning where you found it. 

Located on Monterey Bay, Elkhorn Slough is one of California's last great wetlands. I have probably been there myself some time in the 1970's.

The wetlands are so amazing with their many sea birds, including white pelicans, and my favorite, the brown pelican.

Learning and writing about this place, I wanted to know how Elkhorn Slough got its name, were there elk there? 

Checking, I learned that the name derives from the native Tule elk, now extirpated from the region.

Tule elk live in the mountains on the west side of our town, but not in the canyon. 

Note:

The word extirpated is new to me, so I looked it up and decided it's not really a nice word, at least not when applied to Tule Elk.



Extirpate: Root out and destroy completely.




Comments

  1. If the elk were native to the land, why were they extirpated? I agree, not a nice word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably people wanted to settle the land for farming and such.

      Delete
  2. that is a new word for me also. and that is what happened to buffalo and other animals due to greed from humans. I like rust and these old buildings are beautiful. I just checked for images of Tule Elk and they are gorgeous. and only live in CA. looks like they are now building herds of them. humans are a strange bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the Tule elk information, I will check them out myself too.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    The old rusted building is cool. It sounds like a great place for birding. It is sad the Tule Elk were rooted out of the region. I can only assume they destroy crops. Take care, have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hari Om
    I like images of bit old industry that me be lapsing or lapsed... but sorry to read of the annihilation of the local elk population. Was glad to read that elsewhere the species survives and thrives. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing the elk were in the way of greedy settlers wanting to farm their territory. I hope they make a comeback.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Inger...I hope you are feeling much better today.
    I like to snap photos of old barns and buildings...
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to learn about the wetlands and animal life there! Hope you have an amazing New Year!

    xoxo, MIDORI

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-new-creative-outlet-for-my-daughter-hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our farm works in cooperation with Ducks Unlimited in preserving wet land on our farm land. Ducks Unlimited work very hard to make sure the native species have a winning chance to thrive. as they are part of the eco system. My guess is that the elks were there before the farmers settled there. I'm sorry that they were removed from their natural habitat.

    That word "extirpated" is new to me too.
    Take care and stay well.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a nice photograph.
    Like many others ... the word "extirpated" is new to me too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if nothing else, several of us learned a new word here: Extirpated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers