Celebrating Thirty Years Free of Cigarettes

 


Photo: Pascal Meier


Both my parents smoked, they were of a generation where cigarettes and smoky rooms were very common. 

I was about 10 when I took my first puff off a cigarette, after a boy in our elementary school dared me, as we walked home together. I thought it was horrible and never touched one again for many years. 

But then, as a teenager, going to jazz clubs in the ancient cellars of Old Town, Stockholm, where everyone smoked, or so it seemed, I took up smoking too. 

I was about 17 when my parents found out. I remember them both being upset. 

Years went by, I smoked, then I didn't want to smoke any longer, but found myself unable to stop. 

That's how I learned about addiction. 

I was able to cut back. Somewhere in there, the university where I worked no longer allowed smoking indoors, so that helped a lot. 

But I still couldn't completely stop. I kept trying and failing, trying and failing, to the extent that when I had no cigarettes at home, I could wake up in the middle of the night, needing to have one. I would get so desperate that I would get up and out in the night and drive to the nearest Seven/Eleven store that was open.

Then, finally, help arrived with the Nicorette Gum. 

With the help of this gum, I stopped smoking for good on December 21, 1993. 

I was 53 years old.

I believe I kept chewing the gum for about three years after I stopped smoking, but I never smoked again. 

Sadly my dad died as a result of his heavy smoking habit. He was 66 years old when he passed away from lung cancer. 

My mom continued to smoke, but never as much as my dad did and she survived him by about 15 years. 

Today, it has been thirty years since I smoked my last cigarette. I know the date so well because I wrote it down and made a commitment in writing that day. For my life and my health.

Strangely, I've never thought of or wanted to smoke a cigarette again. 

So a huge thank you to the Nicorette gum developers. 






Comments

  1. wow, that is quite the story and so glad you stopped then because you might not be here writing your post. Bob quit when we got married, he finished the last one in his pack and said i will never smoke again. The first year was horrible, for him and me. there were times I wanted to say just go buy a pack, I can't take this anymore. he did suffer. He quit at age 49. his wife died from addiction but hers was alcohol, dead at 43 years old.. addiction is so hard to kick. I kicked the sugar additon in 1980 and for 7 years did not gain the 100 pounds i lost. then I ate ONE ice cream cone and in a years time was back to the 100 overweight again. Now i am 7 years off sugar and know I still can't eat one cookie or right back where I started

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire you so much, because after all, cigarettes taste pretty bad when you haven't had one for a long time, but sweet things will always taste good.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Happy Unsmokaversary!!! Like all teenagers, and having several relations (but not my parents) who smoked, I did give it a try. Couldn't understand why folk got caught by it. Turned out I am one of those who doesn't get addicted. Unless we speak about crochet . And dairy foods... yup we all have something. But I'm sure glad I never caught the smoking bug. And I am thrilled for those who manage to kick that one in the 'butt'! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I quit a heavy habit long ago when I realized I was causing my little boy sinus pain. Stubbed that one out, threw away the rest, never touched one again. It's very hard. Even now after more than 40 years, my brain would like the rush. Good thing they don't smoke on tv shows any more, fewer stimuli around. But I notice in old movies, they move in a haze of smoke!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations. I never did smoke and neither did Ken. Tried it once when I was a kid and didn't like it. Never did it again. My dad smoked his whole life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! That's a big event!
    I have my likes and dislikes but no addictions. My Dad (rip) was a smoker. One day, the doctor told him he should quit smoking and he just did that immediately. He had great self-discipline!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Inger. I know how hard it is to quit smoking. I had to quit smoking when my second daughter was born as she had breathing difficulties. My love for my daughter was stronger than my addiction and I quit cold turkey and never smoked again. I made up my mind that every pack of cigarette I was smoking was like rolling my money and lighting it and watch it burn. I didn't had much money in those days and a pack of cigarette was only 50 cent a pack.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Inger. You broke the habit and it's been so many years now, I'm sure you'll never go back to it. It's great that the gum worked for you.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations and well done.
    Happy Unsmokaversary!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers