Monday, September 2, 2024

Unanticipated Benefits of Walking With a Cane


 
I've met so many kind and helpful people since I began to use a cane. Does living in a small town have something to do with it? Perhaps, but I hope not.

Here are a few examples from the post office:

There are two sets of doors leading into our local post office. One day, a handsome older gentleman walked a bit ahead of me through the two doors. Then I saw him bend over something, which turned out to be the backside of the lock on the last of the two doors. By now that door had closed. 

I opened and carefully walked through the door and asked the man what he was doing. "Oh," he said," I was just trying to open the door for you. But I couldn't get a grip on this lock." 

Well, he would have had to pull the door open. And if you've seen the backside of a large door lock, you know it's pretty flat and there's no chance you will ever be able to pull a heavy door open by grabbing it. 

But it was a lovely try and I thanked him for it.

Another time, a teenage girl came running past me and I wondered why she was in such a hurry. When she reached the doors, she stopped, waited and held both doors open for me. 

Finally, after I picked up a rather heavy package and had some trouble holding it and the cane, a small boy, about seven years old, came up to me and asked if he could carry the package for me. 

I told him the package was very heavy, so maybe not, but perhaps he could run ahead and hold the doors open for me. The little boy just lit up with a huge grin, ran ahead and held both doors open for me. 

I thanked him profusely and told him he was a really great kid. 

He just smiled a big smile and I think we both made each other's day, that time in our local post office.









4 comments:

  1. this is one of the happiest post i have read in a long time. the little boy is my favorite and it is great to know there are kind and helpful people out there. I have had a few found in the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post to read.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your stories of kindness that occurred when people noticed your cane. My friend has used a cane for many years and she always calls it her stick. She too noticed kind people, especially in air ports. Plus when she did missionary trips in Brazil the young people flocked around her to help her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a couple of friends who had to start using a cane. And they noticed a big difference in how people treated them. Perhaps it makes us not a threat, but someone who needs help?

    ReplyDelete

Taking A Break

I'm taking a short break because I need to figure out some additions I want to make to the new blog design you see here.    I'm choo...

Followers