Moments ~ A Red Fox At Jackson Lake

 

Photo: Ray Hennessy


Have you ever been somewhere in nature where it is absolutely quiet? Where trees are not rustling, birds are not twittering, and there are no insects buzzing around.

When I lived in Wyoming, I drove out to Jackson Lake early one very cold winter morning.  

The day was gorgeous, there was snow on the rugged mountains across the lake, the road was free of snow and ice and my borrowed car hummed on and behaved itself well.

I drove to the gate of Yellowstone National Park, which was closed for the winter. 

I parked, got out of the car and walked down a slope toward the lake. I stood there for a while and listened to the silence. 

It was so quiet, just snow and the frozen lake with mountains in the distance. 

Then I saw a movement, far out on the ice. 

As the figure came closer, I saw it was a fox. A magnificent red fox. 

I stood very still, but knew the fox had smelled and seen me as he trotted across the ice and came closer. 

Then he stopped and looked at me, he didn't seem to be afraid. 

After looking at me one final time, he turned to his right, ran up the slope, crossed the road and disappeared.

I never forgot him though.

I feel myself smiling as I write about him now. He gifted me with yet another truly wonderful Wyoming memory.


Comments

  1. what you have described with the fox is the feeling I had when the barred owl came to visit this past summer, he was so amazing, and the sound of silence is what I often long for. the minute bob steps in the kitchen to cook breakfast or out in the yard to brush the pool, I turn the tv off and listen to silence. the bad news is there is always traffic and lawn stuff going on, sirens, i hear one now... the quiet you describe is amazing. glad you shared your fond fox memory

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wonderful photograph by Ray Hennessy.
    You describe a special moment seeing the red fox, no wonder the experience still makes you smile.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo. I gotta remember you have a new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moments of silence are precious, and the sudden appearance of the red fox is a great visual memory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I call that Blessed Silence.

    Sweet the fox came by. What a gift!

    How are you, Inger?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Followers