Monday, August 26, 2024

Swedish Death Cleaning

Some of the books that I kept with the Tiffany clock I got from the University of California when I retired, and an owl with a book, no idea where it came from.

I've always been pretty good about cleaning out my bookcases and closets, donating what I no longer want or need to the library and thrift stores in town. Not sure I would call it death cleaning, but I guess if you keep up with the cleaning, you will be safe just in case.

Not until I heard about the book Swedish Death Cleaning, by Margareta Magnusson, did I realize it was a part of my DNA

Apparently, frequently going through stuff, keeping only what we love and need, is a part of Swedish culture. 

Recently, I became more serious about this. At my age, leaving very little behind becomes a more serious concern, as does the need to face up to the very real possibility of needing to move. To our town or, depending on how well I will hold up, or not, to an assisted living facility. 

I started with my books. It was easy to go through them and take those I wanted to donate to a thrift store in town. 

Another shelf of books I kept with two cards from Jane, an American Flag card from the Wounded Warrior Project, and a small van I found in the shed.  

I smiled as I looked at the few books that were left. They are the ones I love and will treasure for the rest of my life. 

I have another bookcase in my bedroom where I keep some of my most favorite books, including those written by my friends. I will probably keep most of those books. 

More later about all my clean up projects.









9 comments:

  1. Swedish death cleaning sounds a very good idea. I find it very hard to get rid of 'stuff.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now wondering if I might have a little Swede in me. I have always a couple times a year done what you are doing. do I use this? do I need this? do I love this? I have seen closets so crammed that it was impossible to tell what was in it. all 5 of my closets have empty space. and I am about to clear the Christmas side of one closet down to what ever small things I use now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    I hadn't heard of this until quite recently, and was a bit baffled at the national claim to decluttering - something I have done all my days! I am currently, as you are probably aware, in the process of another major downsize of goods as I transition into van living. It's a cathartic and mentally healthy thing to do. I had even stated to my sister, two years back when planning this (she was concerned at first about the van thing), that it was because I wanted as little as possible around me to have to be dealt with when the end arrives. It was she who then asked if I was 'SDC' and had to explain it to me. Nope. Just decluttering and simplyfying... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love arranging and cleaning out stuff, it calms me down. I even did it as a kid growing up. Maybe I have some Swedish blood in me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also give away a lot of my books. Some of the books you kept are books I have also kept because they are so good.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother was dead-down on Spring cleaning. I helped the scrubbing and the sweeping for a solid week. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have some Swedish blood in me. I'm like that tool. I enjoy a good clean out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have any Swedish in me - but I do like to make sure I get rid of things I don't need. We have moved twice at an older age - none of the kids want anything and it is costly to move it all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The name puts me off, but I do love to throw things away! When my Dad passed we discovered he had very little to sort through. He was a person who didn't keep extra stuff. It made taking care of things like the house, car, etc. much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Taking A Break

I'm taking a short break because I need to figure out some additions I want to make to the new blog design you see here.    I'm choo...

Followers